Friday 18 February 2011

Off The Wall

A View with Kelly V



Kelly Vivanco's illustrations are a delight for the eyes, a visual gastronomy of colour, texture and light with an almost naïve sense of story book characters - but they're so much more!

Hello Kelly it great to finally meet up, firstly I just wanna apologise for the intro, we don't want to fall into the trap of being art critics but your work really moved the Team here at The Collective!

RD: Ok, we know you've been prepping for a big show at Thinkspace Gallery in Culver City CA, how did the set up go-any horror stories you wana throw our way?

Everything went swimmingly! I worked on the paintings for the show for 9 months and the most nerve wracking thing was driving them up to LA. Everything was safe and secure but it was the disastrous possibilities of having all that work in one fast-moving place. It was such a load off my shoulders when we delivered them all safely!


RD: A three banger question here...were you born and bred in Cali, when did you realize you were up for being an artist and what training have you had?

I was born and raised in Southern California and currently live in Northern San Diego county. "Being an artist" evolved organically. I have always been 'artistic' and ended up going to art school. When I graduated there was no way I could see to support myself with my paintings. It wasn't until I really put time into painting what I wanted to see (a decade later) that my 'career' took off. I still prefer to keep my day job instead of supporting myself completely with my art. I guess this is so I won't have pressure on my creativity and I can paint what I want to paint without feeling I have to compromise anything.


Cushion Tree


Wading In

Bearings

RD: Have you got any time for pets in your hectic life right now?

We have a 'Jackawawa' named Ruggers. He is a Jack Russell-Chihuahua mix who was a rescue dog. He's a pretty cool little dog to have around!


RD: Fill us in on the media you use please?

I mainly use acrylics at the moment, though I used to switch between periods of acrylic and periods of oil painting. My brand of choice is Liquitex. Their soft body acrylics have such a wonderful consistency.


RD: Tell us about your characters you paint and what inspires them?

Mostly I come up with things spontaneously on the painting surface. I sketch as much as I can. I also keep a trove of inspirational clippings, books and magazines. Sometimes inspiration comes from places you don't expect.


Sketchin


RD: Have you changed your picture frames recently?

My husband is responsible for the breadth of my painting habit! He makes all of the panels I paint on. I am always coming up with ideas for shapes and settings I want to paint in, and he runs with the challenge out in his wood shop. He constructed and I painted and finished all of the cool dollhouse frames in my show!


RD: Does music help with the flow of paint, if so what are you into?

I am always listening to music when I paint, it helps keep me focused. I have been listening to a lot of electronic and trip hop but also classical and indie rock. Here is a handful of artists I have listened to recently: Dday One, Damu the Fudgemunk, Mum, Blockhead, The National, Phantogram, Bonobo, Philip Glass, Danny breaks, Zoe Keating...


Prized


Stairwell


Grace

RD: What is your fav mode of transport right now?

I motor around in my Subaru daily but would love to walk more. Every city we visit for fun is somewhat based on how easy they are to walk around!


RD: What artists do you look up to?

I love most of the pre-raphaelites also Klimt, Rembrandt, Van Gogh, Frida Kahlo, Magritte, Toulouse Lautrec, Holbein, Durer. I am also very inspired by the work of past and present day photographers.


RD: Boil in the bag veg or chop and blanch?

I haven't had too much time lately but still chop and blanch. Maybe I would eat more veg if I boiled them in a bag!


Unraveled


The Introduction

RD: Throw out some thank you's!

I wouldn't be doing what I am doing without my husband and the support of my family. Also I have a lot of gratitude for the encouragement and friendship of the Thinkspace crew and Amanda Erlanson. It's hard thanking just a few people because I also really appreciate the support of other gallery owners who have shown my work, patrons who have purchased my paintings over the years and people who have visited my studio or sent me a kind word in an email.

Thanks Kelly its been great to meet you, we'll let you get back to your Paint☋

For further delicious delights to caress your eye balls go to her site.

No comments:

Post a Comment