Wednesday 4 April 2012

Keepin Up With... Buff Monster


 Legend of the Pink Cherry


Opening reception: Saturday April 14th, 7-10pm

Yup, I’m going back to Corey Helford for my fifth solo show at the gallery. I’ve been hard at work on an all-new body of work and I can't wait for people to see it. And as if a whole new set of paintings wasn't enough, this time around the show opens on my birthday. A special night indeed. You won’t want to miss this one!

Here is the official word:
Internationally known for his super bright, happy, and bold imagery, the paintings in the main gallery will celebrate the last eleven years of Buff Monster’s career, culminating in a timeless epic tale of good vs. evil. For the “Legend of the Pink Cherry,” the artist draws inspiration from Renaissance paintings. Buff Monster will introduce his latest creamy creation, a soft serve ice cream cone with human-like arms and legs. Each acrylic-on-wood panel piece in the show is delicately rendered with airbrush, a first for the artist.

Buff Monster’s narratives are more character and figure-based than before, and the series of paintings created for the exhibition will also reveal a new direction in Buff Monster’s career. “I’ve always thought of my work as inspired by and representative of Los Angeles—Hollywood more specifically. Los Angeles is the birthplace of Buff Monster. Part of why I feel compelled to tie everything together is that I feel that this chapter of my life and my work is coming to an end, and I’m looking to the future. It’s time to go East.”

To be added to the preview list, email jch@coreyhelfordgallery.com

BUFF

Corey Helford Gallery
8522 Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232
coreyhelfordgallery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment