Sunday 7 October 2012

Off The Wall

Scott Belcastro
Between the Dots

   
Our friend, Stephanie Chefas in Venice, California asked if we wanted to interview the artist Scott Belcastro - she is curating his show 'Trying to be Neither' (find out more at bottom of post).

We obviously jumped at the chance and caught up with him for a coffee...


RDC: It's real great to meet you dude, could you tell us where you're from and where you live now please?

I am originally from upstate NY.....I lived in Los Angeles for about ten years and now I have moved back to NY.

RDC: Are you a self taught artist and what got you started?

I am a self taught artist.....I started when I was young but really got into it when I was in eleventh grade or so.

RDC: What media do you use and where do your inspirations for your work come from?

I use acrylic or water color on wood..... I really get inspired by looking out the window or rainy grey days......I guess there is something about a snowy or rainy day that makes me really want to sit in the studio and just create.




RDC: Most of your work seems to concentrate on wildlife and countryside, why is that?

It's where I grew up.....there is a lot of wooded areas around here and being able to have that feeling all the time really got into my head.

RDC: Describe your painting techniques, in particular your splatter effects and do they have a meaning?

 I like to move around color using a lot of water......I blend the color until it looks like marble and then I add a meticulous forest scene or animal to it......The splatter effect is something I have been working on for a long time .....since I started painting....I have only recently been able to use it.....It's fun to do but time consuming and it hurts my fingers pretty good.....I like to think of it as energy exploding into nothing......It's almost like i am screaming with color.....It's kind of a release.

RDC: We understand you are into tattoos and you have quite a few. Have you got any of your art on your body?  

I am really into tattoos......I have been working on my body for a while trying to cover it with the  art of other people....I have nothing of mine on me.....I like to use images that stick in my head and I just can't let go...

RDC: It's been cool to chat with you Scott and we hope all goes well with your 'Trying to be Neither' Show!

The opening reception for 'Trying to be Neither' takes place on Saturday, October 20th from 7-10pm at The Gallery in Venice, and is open to the public. The exhibition will be on view through to November 3rd, 2012.
 
The Gallery
74 Market Street
Venice, California 90291 

Stephanie Chefas Project go... HERE
For more about The Gallery go... HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment